Water Treatment Plant Operator III Georgetown Municipal Water & Sewer
Georgetown Municipal Water & Sewer Service is seeking applications for Water Treatment Plant Operator III
Class Title: Water Treatment Plant Operator III
Department: Water Treatment Plant
Supervisor: Water Treatment Plant Supervisor
Supervises: May supervise personnel assigned to plant in the absence of a higher authority.
Class Characteristics: Under general direction, assists in the daily operation and maintenance of the water treatment plant; may supervise personnel in the absence of a higher authority; performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Class Characteristics: With the recommendation of the Water Treatment Plant Supervisor and approval of the Operations Manager and General Manager, employees in this class may be assigned additional duties and responsibilities (i.e. laboratory technician, maintenance technician, etc.). Upon assignment, employees may receive additional compensation for the duties and responsibilities as long as they perform the duties and responsibilities.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the daily operation and maintenance of the water treatment plant, including start-up and/or shut down, involving collection and distribution of water in compliance with established procedures and standards and federal and state laws and administrative regulations.
- May supervise personnel assigned to plant in the absence of a higher authority.
- Monitors all aspects of the plant for unusual conditions or problems.
- Inspects and/or monitors pumps, charts, gauges, and meters daily.
- Collects water samples; conducts lab tests; adjusts equipment as necessary; adjusts chemicals as necessary.
- Adds chemicals in accordance with prescribed standards.
- Prepares and maintains accurate reports/records.
- Forwards water samples and reports as required.
- Performs preventive maintenance programs on plant and equipment; makes minor repairs and/or adjustments on plant and equipment; forwards requests for major repairs and/or tools to superiors.
- Assists with maintain adequate inventory of spare parts, chemicals, equipment, and tools.
- Assists with minor construction projects.
- Assists with maintenance and cleaning of plant and grounds.
- May be assigned additional duties and responsibilities on a continuing basis.
- Attends training programs to obtain license at each level after meeting experience requirements.
Non-essential: Receives all telephone calls for main office after office is closed; in case of emergency, calls out maintenance crews and acts as a dispatcher if needed.
Training and Experience: Graduation from high school or equivalent supplemented by work experience and/or education acceptable by the Kentucky Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet to have received Class III Water Treatment Plant Operators License. Advancement to Water Treatment Plant Operator III is subject to recommendation of the Water Treatment Plant Supervisor and approval of the Operations Manager and General Manager.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of water treatment plant operations.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state laws and administrative regulations with reference to water treatment.
- Extensive knowledge of functions, servicing, and maintenance requirements of mechanical equipment and machinery.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to comply with safety regulations and standards.
- Ability to detect mechanical flaws and make minor repairs to plant and equipment.
- Ability to maintain preventive maintenance and servicing program on plant and equipment.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate reports.
- Ability to maintain inventory of chemicals, spare parts, and tools.
- Ability to supervise the work of water treatment plant operators while assisting with performing required duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officers, other employees, and the general public.
- Physical ability to perform heavy labor for extended periods of time, often under adverse weather conditions.
Instructions: Instructions are very general; must use own judgement most of the time.
Processes: Must occasionally consider different courses of action, or deviate from standard operating procedures, to complete the job.
Review of Work: Completed work is spot checked.
Analytical Requirements: Assignments frequently involve decisions based on a wide knowledge of many factors where application of advanced or technical concepts are required.
Physical Demands of the Job: Work requires sitting at a desk with intermittent standing, walking, and stooping; must lift objects over 25 pounds; some work is performed outdoors regardless of weather conditions; must operate vehicles and equipment; required to be in high and confined spaces; and must use stairs and ladders.
Tools and/or Equipment Used: Construction and/or mechanical tools and equipment (hand tools, power tools, etc.), laboratory equipment, normal office equipment (phone, computer, calculator, etc.), computerized chemical feeders, safety equipment, amp meter, vehicles.
Contacts: Regular contacts with the public and employees and supervisors from other departments.
Confidential Information: Little or no use of confidential information.
Mental Effort: Moderate/Heavy.
Special Licensing Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Certification Requirements: Must possess and maintain a Class III Water Treatment Plant Operators License issued by the Commonwealth of Kentucky; must obtain Class IV license within one year after meeting experience requirements.
Drug and Alcohol Testing: Must participate in mandatory drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment and continued employment in the class.
Additional Requirements: May be required to wear a respirator for which the person would have to be medically approved; must be able to wear a level B chemical suit for prolonged periods. Must be able to respond to emergency situations at all hours.
Overtime Provision: Non-exempt.