Water Treatment Plant Operator IV
Georgetown Municipal Water POSITION DESCRIPTION
Class Title: Water Treatment Plant Operator IV Department: Operations / Water Treatment Supervisor: Water Treatment Plant Supervisor
Supervises: May Supervise Personnel Assigned to Division in Absence of a Higher Authority
Class Characteristics: Under general direction, assists with the daily operation and maintenance of the water treatment plant; may supervise other plant operators in the absence of a higher authority; performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Class Characteristics: With the recommendation of the Water Treatment Plant Supervisor and approval of the Operations Manager and General Manager, employees in this class may be assigned additional duties and responsibilities (i.e., laboratory technician, maintenance technician, etc). Upon assignment, employees shall receive additional compensation for the duties and responsibilities as long as they perform the duties and responsibilities.
General Duties and Responsibilities: Essential:
- May supervise water treatment plant operators in absence of the higher
- Assists with the daily operation and maintenance of the water treatment plant, including start-up and shut-down, involving collection and distribution of water in compliance with established procedures and standards and federal and state laws and administrative
- Monitors all aspects of the plant for unusual conditions or
- Inspects and/or monitors pumps, charts, gauges and meters
- Collects water samples; conducts lab tests; adjusts equipment as necessary; adjusts chemicals as
- Adds chemicals in accordance with prescribed
- Prepares and maintains accurate reports/records.
- Assists with forwarding water samples and reports as
- Performs preventive maintenance programs on plant and equipment; makes minor repairs and/or adjustments on plant and equipment; forwards requests for major repairs and/or equipment and tools to
- Maintains inventory of spare parts, chemicals, equipment and
- Assists with minor construction
12 Assists with cleaning of plant and grounds.
- May be assigned additional duties and responsibilities on a continuing basis (see Distinguishing Class Characteristics above).
- Attends training programs to obtain license at each level after meeting experience
Non-Essential: Receives all telephone calls for main office after office is closed; in case of emergency, calls out maintenance crews and acts as dispatcher if needed.
Training and Experience: Graduation from high school or equivalent supplemented by work experience and/or education acceptable by the Kentucky Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet to have received a Class IV Water Treatment Plant Operators License.
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of water treatment plant
- Extensive knowledge of federal, state laws and administrative regulations with reference to water
- Extensive knowledge of functions, servicing and maintenance requirements of mechanical equipment and machinery.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to comply with safety regulations and
- Exceptional ability to detect mechanical flaws and make minor repairs to plant and
- Exceptional ability to maintain preventive maintenance and servicing program on plant and
- Exceptional ability to prepare and maintain accurate
- Exceptional ability to maintain inventory of chemicals, spare parts and
- Exceptional ability to supervise the work of water treatment plant
- Exceptional ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officers, other employees, and the general public.
- Physical ability to perform heavy labor for extended periods of time, often under adverse weather
Instructions: Instructions are very general; must use own judgment most of the time.
Processes: Must occasionally consider different courses of action, or deviate from standard operating procedures, to get the job done.
Review of Work: Work is reviewed if requested; completed work may be spot checked.
Analytical Requirements: Assignments frequently involve decisions based on a wide knowledge of many factors where application of advanced or technical concepts is required.
Physical Demands of the Job: Work requires sitting at desk with intermittent standing, walking, stooping; must lift objects over 25 pounds; some work is performed outdoors regardless of weather conditions; must operate vehicle and equipment; required to be in high places, confined spaces, and using stairs and ladders.
Tools and/or Equipment Used: Construction and/or mechanical tools and equipment (hand tools, power tools, etc.), laboratory equipment, normal office equipment (phone, computer, calculator, etc.), computerized chemical feeders, safety equipment, vehicles.
Contacts: Regular contacts with the public and employees or supervisors from other departments/divisions.
Confidential Information: Limited use of confidential information.
Mental Effort: Moderate/heavy.
Special Licensing Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
Certification Requirements: Must possess a Class IV Water Treatment Plant Operators License; must maintain license as a condition of continued employment in the class.
Drug and Alcohol Testing: Must participate in mandatory drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment and continued employment in the class.
Additional Requirements: May be required to wear a respirator for which the person would have to be medically approved; must be able to wear level B chemical suit for prolonged periods. Must be able to respond to emergency situations at all hours.
Overtime Provision: Non-exempt.