Utility Worker (Kentucky American Water)
Career Opportunities: Utility Worker (99361)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Are you curious about the water industry and what it takes to provide safe water? Are you looking to challenge and advance your mechanical or technical skills? Do you have a curious mind who loves to problem solve? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, we want to talk to you! Kentucky American Water is seeking a Utility Worker to join our team in Lexington! Our winning candidate will be a quick learner who enjoys working as a team, while providing our customers and the community with an essential resource. Our Utility team is crucial to our business and meeting the needs of our customer base. Be the first on the scene when there is a leak, when piping needs to be installed, and when new service lines are needed. Help keep life flowing in Lexington, KY!
As a Utility Worker, you will perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to locating, laying, repairing and extending underground water mains and distribution pipes and any other work as assigned by the supervisor. In this role, you will make decisions within guidelines established by the supervisor necessary to carry out and complete work assigned.
• Sets up barricades and places safety lights around work site to protect workers from street traffic.
• Breaks up asphalt and concrete, using pneumatic power tools for trenching and compaction.
• Manual digging of valve boxes and curb boxes using shovel and digging bar.
• Guide pipe sections, valves and fittings into position and holds pieces steady while works tightens connections.
• Tapping into pressurized water mains.
• Flaring and connecting copper piping.
• Installation of repair clamp on pressurized water mains and service lines.
• Operating of valves and fire hydrants. Investigates complaints and determines corrective action per Company procedure.
• Operating of pneumatic and/ or hydraulic boring equipment.
• Completes all necessary forms, sketches and field notes and be knowledgeable of usage of maps and records.
• Drives vehicles and/ or trucks in performance of general job, including housekeeping of vehicles. To conduct work as assigned by the supervisor or crew leader and to assist other personnel as required.
- Reports to immediate supervisor as directed.
- To inform other work areas and other personnel of situations which affect company operations.
- High School graduate or state recognized educational equivalency certificate.
- College degree preferred.
- Must satisfactorily pass company’s physical examination
- Must be able to perform such activities as walking, stooping, lifting, digging and climbing.
- Must be licensed to operate motor vehicle
- Must acquire and maintain a CDL license, 90 days from job award date
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™