Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Responsible for performing field service duties, reading maps and drawings, reading meters, making necessary repairs to pipeline related facilities and maintaining customer service while preforming other duties as assigned by supervisor. Operate various tools and equipment and must be able to work in a variety of inclement weather conditions, and be on call per the on call schedule.
- Executes service order requests from customers (turn on and turn off service as needed).
- Investigates customer complaints to determine and/or take corrective actions.
- Reads maps and other drawings. (20%)
- Operates company vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, backhoe and other equipment required to perform field service duties.
- Operates various hand and power tools. (20%)
- Reads meters as required by daily schedules.
- Performs work in meter boxes, confined spaces, trenches and excavations. (20%)
- Operates and repairs distribution system, including operating valves, manual digging, tapping into pressurized mains and service lines, and installing repair clamps. (20%)
- Performs other duties as assigned to be determined by Operations Supervisor. (20%)
- Understanding of water system maintenance to include the execution of customer service orders, meter reading, and backhoe operation.
- One to three (1 to 3) years preferred.
- Must be familiar with company procedures regarding customer service, meter reading, and distribution system maintenance duties.
- High School Diploma or recognized Education Equivalency Certificate.
Travel required within the distribution system. Limited travel related to training.
Primarily outdoor work environment