The purpose of the program is to provide construction funding for water and sewer systems that have received a permanent loan commitment from the United States Department of Agriculture-Rural Development (“RD”) (formally known as the Farmers Home Administration). The program structure provides communities access to short-term loan funds at favorable interest rates. Loan proceeds are utilized for the construction period only and are repaid with RD bond funds when the project is complete. RD will provide the permanent financing once the construction phase is complete and project conditions have been met.
The program is designed as a tax-exempt pooled financing with flexible loan terms. The administrator of the program is the Kentucky Rural Water Finance Corporation (the “Corporation”). The effective rate of borrowing under the program is based on a stated loan rate less an interest earnings credit on undisbursed construction proceeds from the program pool. The effective cost of borrowing after program rebates is estimated at approximately 2% -2.5%
History of the Program
Since the program’s inception in 1995, over $838 million in construction funds have been provided to 385 interim finance borrowers.
Loan Approval Process:
- Completed application and Rural Development Letter of Conditions are sent to the Corporation for preliminary approval.
- The Corporation will issue a conditional approval letter to the Borrower pending completion of the Loan Package.
- The Borrower formally adopts and executes all legal documents associated with the loan package.
- Construction disbursements may commence once the Corporation’s Trustee Bank receives the completed Loan Package from the Borrower.
- The Borrower request funds via fax from the Trustee Bank. The RD, Engineer and borrower must sign and approve each request for funds. No invoices are required. Construction funds are wired to the Borrower’s local construction depository for actual disbursement.
- Upon project completion, payoff is made to the Trustee Bank with RD bond funds. The payoff equals construction draws plus interest accrued during construction less interest earned.